Thursday, December 12, 2013

High Altitude Cocoa Fudge Cake

 
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've attempted to bake a cake from scratch in Denver...and felt the disappointment. It always starts off the same -- on goes the pinny (apron) and with every good intention I enter the kitchen area, humming a little tune, pull out the scales and measuring cups, and begin with a flourish. I've measured the ingredients diligently, weighing the eggs along with other fluids, etc., and followed my recipes to the letter, but alas, failure is not too far behind. But recently, I found a recipe for a chocolate cake for high altitude cooking. It's easy and delicious! 

Cocoa Fudge Cake
For altitudes of 4,000 to 6,000 feet

Ingredients
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (don’t use self-rising flour in this recipe)
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1 ¼ teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups buttermilk
½ cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour baking pan, 13x9x2 inches or 2 rounds layer pans, 9x 1 ½ inches.

Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl. Blend ½ minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans(s).

Bake oblong about 35 minutes, layers 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack.
For convenience use a packaged frosting or your own favorite recipe. I'll include my own in another post.