Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Walking in the Woods

While in Wales some months ago, I realized how carefree it is for people in the British Isles to walk in the woods. There are no wild animals to worry about, no snakes (save the adder which is extremely rare) and very few badgers, which if provoked...will attack. I watched with delight as this older couple donned their walking shoes, hats and sticks, and strolled off into the woods without a care in the world. They seemed completely at ease, and comfortable in their surroundings.
I took the photo (above) and smiled as the couple disappeared from my view. As I watched them, I considered what I have to think about when I walk on the trails here in Colorado. I have to be watchful for bears, mountain lions, coyotes, poisonous snakes, nasty insects, etc. And should I forget...there are always signs to remind me of the dangers, especially from bears. The signs read:

Be alert and make a noise
Travel in groups of two or more
Do not pursue or approach bears for photographs
Store all food and anything with a strong odor (toothpaste, shampoo, bug repellent, soap, etc.) locked in your vehicle
Deposit garbage in appropriate bear proof containers
Clean picnic and camping area thoroughly before leaving the park
Report bear sightings to park personnel immediately!
Remember: A fed bear is a dead bear!