Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Cockney Rhyming Slang

 

There have been so many English shows, series and films lately, that I’ve been inundated with questions about Cockney Rhyming slang. Perhaps people are watching more television during Covid-19 but shows such as Endeavor, Line of Duty, Broadchurch, etc., often throw in some slang/expression that confuses viewers. Last week, some friends sent me a list of 17 questions-- “What does trouble and strife; Skin and Blister and Breaking my neck for a Jimmy, mean? Help! It’s like a different language!” Indeed it is!

Cockney rhyming slang was created to confuse and puzzle outsiders, but more notably…the police! Traditionally, these people came from a specific area of London on the east-west thoroughfare, but more importantly…within earshot of the bells of St Mary-le-Bow church, commonly known as “Bow Bells.” It's thought these parishioners are the true Cockneys of London.

It’s believed there has been a church situated on this site since Saxon times. It’s a truly beautiful church that was burned in the Fire of London in 1666, rebuilt by Christopher Wren, and was then bombed in WWII, but still it stands today.

Anyhow, getting back to my friends’ questions (not all can be translated without blushing) but most can be found on the Internet. My friends had already tried that…then contacted me. Although I was born about 50 miles south of London, I was able to answer about 12 of the questions. The rest I sent to my brother-in-law, ironically, a retired policeman. It goes without saying; there are simply too many expressions and slang words to list them all, but here goes with a few to make you laugh:

Trouble and Strife = wife!

Skin and Blister = sister

Breaking my neck for a Jimmy = need to pee

Take a butchers = take a look

Apples and pears = stairs

Whistle and flute = suit.