Friday, December 18, 2020

Bartering--- an Ancient Custom


 In these difficult times of Covid-19, I've noticed a trend in bartering, an ancient method of exchanging one skill set for another. Recently, I was asked to make as many teddy bears as possible (large family) using the pajamas of a recently deceased loved one. Understanding the fabric was more important than design...I came up with a very simple 10" teddy bear pattern. I used some of the lace from the pajamas on a few of the bears. A sentimental "bee" was placed on the heart, no questions asked. No money exhanged hands in this ancient form of payment. My client has agreed to clear my driveway of snow for the whole winter, no easy feat in Colorado. Good deal? Who knows! The client is "thrilled" with these little rascals, which I'm told are gifts for his family at Christmastime. According to him, they will be passed down through the family. It was a very sweet idea.