It was formerly known as Aaron the Jew’s House, and is one of the earlier extant town houses in England.
Dating from the mid-twelfth century, the building originally consisted of a hall at first floor level, measuring approximately 12 by 6 metres, above service and storage spaces at ground level.
The house had traditionally been associated with the thriving Jewish community in Medieval Lincoln. In 1255, and again in 1290, however, anti-Semitic feelings rose to fever pitch, and the Jewish community was expelled from England; the Jew's House supposedly being seized from a Jewish owner.
The building has remained continuously occupied to the present day, and is currently in commercial use. It lies on a very steep hill (aptly named Steep Hill) in the heart of the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire.