Thursday, April 26, 2012

Scones - English recipe

Even though I've lived in the United States for many, many years, I've rarely used self-rising flour. I tried it in K.C. when I first arrived in the country, but found the finished recipe too salty, and haven't used it since. Now, I've tried it again, and found self-rising flour works beautifully for scones (see recipe below.)

As readers of my blog know, I have to convert my English recipes from Imperial Measurement (lbs. oz.) to metric measurements, and finally to cups. I get into most difficulties when the recipe calls for a "gill" of milk..." A gill is basically a quarter of an English pint, which is smaller than an American pint - hence my problems. Following is my favorite recipe for scones. I usually double the quantity of dough, and fill half with dried blueberries and half cranberries. Split and serve with butter (or better yet clotted cream) and jam.

Ingredients
8 oz. SR flour (2 cups)
1/2  teas. salt
1-1/2 oz butter (about 1/3 cup)
1 oz sugar (about 1 rounded tablespoon)
1 egg and about half cup of milk (keep a little of this mixture to brush the tops of the scones)
1/8 cup dried blueberries, dried cranberries, or other mixed dried fruit.

Method
Mix flour and salt in a basin. Cut the butter into the flour and then rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and the fruit to the flour mixture, then the beaten egg and milk. Add just enough for the dough to be pliable, not not wet. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 60 seconds. Roll out to approximately 1/2" thickness and cut into rounds or triangles. Brush the tops with the excess liquid and bake for about 10 minutes in a hot oven (425-450 degrees F.)